Summer is here. MAYBE.
I love rice, and curries run in my blood. I was craving something simple and spicy that wouldn’t break the bank and I remembered that I knew how to make thai curry!
Just look at this. Doesn’t it feels wholesome and loving?
Here’s the recipe!
Estimated Cost: $12 (Lasted me for 4 meals)
- 4 pieces Chicken thighs
- ½ Cup Jasmine Rice
- 1 13.5-Ounce Can Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Stalks Lemongrass
- 1 1-Inch Piece Ginger
- 1 Lime
- 1 tsp Paprika (optional)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Scallion/Small Onion
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons Red Curry Paste
- 2 Teaspoons Coconut Palm Sugar/ Brown Sugar
- Salt to taste.
- Set the rice to cook - 1 part rice requires 2 parts water.
- Roast the ginger, garlic, scallions and peppers in a bit of oil on medium heat.
- Don't let it burn!
- Add the curry paste and toast that a little as well.
- Add the brown sugar - let it caramelise.
- Now add the chicken and turn up the heat for a minute or two.
- Add the coconut milk and about half a can of plain water.
- Let this simmer and cook the chicken further.
- Now add a little bit of paprika if you like the heat.
- I add salt by taste, since this recipe has limes.
- Cover and cook until the curry thickens a little and the chicken is cooked.
- Garnish with a heavy hand of cilantro and serve over a bed of rice!
I got everything from TraderJoe’s for like super cheap! Try it out!